Software Engineers and Designers NOC 2173
Software engineers and designers research, design, evaluate, integrate and maintain software applications, technical environments, operating systems, embedded software, information warehouses, and telecommunications software.
- Collect and document users' requirements and develop logical and physical specifications
- Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems including mobile applications
- Develop data, process, and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs
- Plan, design, and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration, and operation of computer-based systems including mobile applications
- Assess, test, troubleshoot, document, upgrade, and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software.
10-year Job Openings
There are 92 job openings forecasted between 2018-2027.
Average Annual Salary
- A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
- A master's or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering, and passing a professional practice examination.
- Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.