Automotive service technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Review work orders and discuss work with supervisor
- Inspect motor in operation, road test motor vehicle, and test automotive systems and components using computerized diagnostic and other testing devices to diagnose and isolate faults
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of automotive systems including fuel system, brakes, steering and suspension, engine and drive train, emission control and exhaust, cooling and climate control, and electrical and electronic systems using hand tools and other specialized automotive repair equipment
- Test and adjust repaired systems to manufacturer's performance specifications
- Perform scheduled maintenance service, such as oil changes, lubrications and tune ups
- Advise customers on work performed, general vehicle condition and future repair requirements.
Mechanical repairers, motor vehicle manufacturing, perform some or all of the following duties:
- Inspect and test mechanical units, such as engines, transmissions, axles and brake systems, to locate faults and malfunctions
- Diagnose faults or malfunctions and confirm findings with supervisor to determine whether to repair or replace unit
- Repair or replace mechanical units or components using hand and power tools
- Test and adjust units to specifications for proper performance
- Complete reports to record problems and work performed.
Truck and transport and truck-trailer mechanics perform some or all of the following duties:
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of commercial transport truck systems including chassis, frame, cab, body, engine and drive train, air brakes, steering, and fuel, hydraulic, electrical and electronic systems
- Adjust, repair or replace parts and components of truck-trailer systems including structural, brake and electrical systems.
Workers in this unit group may specialize in the following areas: engine and fuel systems, transmission systems, air conditioning, cooling and heating systems, steering, alignment, brakes, drive lines, suspension, electrical and electronic systems, truck-trailer repair or diagnostic services.