Hearing instrument practitioners perform some or all of the following duties:
- Examine adult clients to assess hearing loss using diagnostic evaluation and electro acoustic testing
- Recommend and dispense appropriate type of hearing instrument
- Take earmold impressions for use in the manufacture of hearing devices
- Fit, adjust and make minor modifications to hearing instruments
- Educate clients in appropriate use, care and maintenance of hearing instruments
- Perform follow-up examinations and readjustments.
Audiometric technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Under the supervision of audiologists, administer tests such as pure tone hearing screening, impedance tests and noise level measurements using equipment such as audiometers and sound level meters to determine hearing thresholds of patients
- Instruct patients on test procedures and record results
- Monitor, check and calibrate auditory equipment
- May take earmold impressions and fit and adjust hearing instruments.
Communicative disorders assistants and speech-language pathology assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assist speech-language pathologists and audiologists during assessment of patients
- Carry out treatment programs, document results and develop materials for use with patients, under the supervision of speech-language pathologists or audiologists
- Document patient rehabilitation progress
- Check and maintain therapeutic equipment and materials.
Ophthalmic medical assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate ophthalmic testing and measuring instruments to aid ophthalmologists in assessing patients' vision
- Record test results
- Assist ophthalmologists in office surgery
- Administer eye drops, ointments and medications as directed by ophthalmologists
- Clean and maintain instruments and equipment used during examinations
- Take patients' general medical and ophthalmic history
- Perform various administrative duties.
Physiotherapy assistants and occupational therapy assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
- Under the direction of physiotherapists and/or occupational therapists, carry out treatment programs such as thermotherapy, traction, hydrotherapy and electrotherapeutic techniques to rehabilitate patients with various injuries or disabilities to maximize their ability to independently manage daily activities.