Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Provide counselling and advisory services to farmers on crop cultivation and fertilization, harvesting, animal and poultry care, disease prevention, farm management, farm financing, marketing and other agricultural subjects
- Prepare and conduct advisory information sessions and lectures for farmers and other groups
- Conduct research, analyze agricultural data and prepare research reports
- Liaise with researchers, educators and government or business managers on matters pertaining to farming and agriculture
- Maintain records of services provided and the effects of advice given.
Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists may specialize in specific aspects of agriculture such as animal science, field crops, horticulture, soil science, irrigation or drainage, farm management, marketing, agricultural economics, land use, and environmental management, appraisal or extension and education.