Financial planners perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop personal financial plans for clients covering cash management, finances, insurance coverage, investments, retirement and estate planning, taxes and legal matters
- Analyze clients' financial records, set goals and develop a financial strategy
- Advise clients on implementing the financial plan to help them achieve their goals
- May also arrange for the purchase and sale of financial products and investments depending on the licence held, and monitor the portfolio to ensure its quality and profitability
- May help to expand business and attract new clients.
Financial examiners and inspectors perform some or all of the following duties:
- Review and examine banks, trust companies, credit unions, caisses populaires, credit companies, real estate companies, insurance companies, pension funds, securities brokers and other financial services and institutions to ensure compliance with governing legislation and regulations.
Financial investigators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Investigate possible unethical conduct or breaches of securities or commodity futures laws by persons or companies that trade in securities and commodity futures or that provide related financial services.
Financial underwriters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Underwrite new issues of stocks and bonds
- Negotiate with corporations and governments to determine the type and terms of new securities issued and prepare offering prospectuses.
Trust officers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Administer estate, personal, charitable, corporate and other types of trusts
- Direct trust account investments, receive and record investment income and disburse trust funds.
Mortgage brokers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Meet with clients to obtain information about income, liabilities and assets, and type, price and condition of property to be mortgaged
- Negotiate mortgage loans with lenders or lending institutions on behalf of clients.